|Posted by Aran|
A washing machine will clean most things you'll run into in abandoned buildings such as pigeon crap, asbestos, black mold, etc. Even then with asbestos as long as you wear a respirator where needed and wash your clothes when you get home you'll be fine. Contaminants that require anything more are really rare and not likely to be something you'd stumble across.
That's just bad advice. There's a reason why tyvek suits, full face respirators, and decon measures are used for asbestos and mold issues or remediation.
First off, an improperly fitted respirator will do far more harm than good. Secondly, if you don't know how to decon in the field, you'll be kicking up more dust and crud to breathe in when you're unmasking, getting in the car, putting clothes in the laundry, tracking it on your shoes, etc.
Realistically, the odds of significant exposure are minimal unless you are kicking up dust. If you do kick up dust, well... throwing clothes in the washer is the least of your worries. Several years back, there was a member here who passed away from breathing a certain kind of mold spore during an explore. Places with bats have some really nasty things too, etc.
Point of this is simple, if you don't understand the hazard either accept something horrible might happen, or learn how to deal with said hazard. I'm not meaning reading about it online either.
Reference point: Personal HAZWOPR training through work, family and friends with HAZWOPR training.