new posts
UER Store
location db
db map
terms of service
privacy policy

UER Forum > UE Encyclopedia > Drain Key (Viewed 6224 times)
Entry: Drain Key
originally posted by MacGyver

[last edit 2/6/2012 3:40 PM by Opheliaism - edited 2 times]

Certain types of manhole covers and grates have a slotted hole in them designed to accept a T-shaped lifting tool, commonly referred to as a manhole key. Such lids are rare in Alberta and the Midwest USA, but they are abundant in other places, most notably in Australia.

A drain key can be made from welded bar or by cutting the profile out of the appropriately sized flat barstock.

info extracted from Predator's Approach to Draining

You can weld one up simply from mild steel or take a 20mmx8mm aluminium bar and cut it to the appropriate shape. It looks like this:

| +---------+ |
| | | |
| | | |
| +---------+ | <-- handle (for hands, straps etc)
+-----+ +-----+
| |
| |
| | <-- less than 12mm diameter
| |
+--+ +--+ <-- the end you stick in the manhole cover slot.
+-------+ 8mm high, 5mm thick steel

<- 25mm-> (or a little less)

To use: Stick the T end in the slot on the cover, rotate 90ø and pull up. These are the dimensions for Sydney's Durham covers. In SA and VIC different sizes are used but all operate on the T principle.

See Also:
Manhole Popper
Modify this entry  | Remove this entry
UER Forum > UE Encyclopedia > Drain Key (Viewed 6224 times)

Add a poll to this thread

This thread is in a public category, and can't be made private.

All content and images copyright 2002-2021 UER.CA and respective creators. Graphical Design by Crossfire.
To contact webmaster, or click to email with problems or other questions about this site: UER CONTACT
View Terms of Service | View Privacy Policy | Server colocation provided by Beanfield
This page was generated for you in 94 milliseconds. Since June 23, 2002, a total of 657959998 pages have been generated.